social icons

search

The Reading Cow

Read 'til the cows come home...

more from the blog

REVIEW: Captive In The Dark (The Dark Duet #1) by C.J. Roberts



Synopsis

Caleb is a man with a singular interest in revenge. Kidnapped as a young boy and sold into slavery by a power-hungry mobster, he has thought of nothing but vengeance. For twelve years he has immersed himself in the world of pleasure slaves searching for the one man he holds ultimately responsible. Finally, the architect of his suffering has emerged with a new identity, but not a new nature. If Caleb is to get close enough to strike, he must become the very thing he abhors and kidnap a beautiful girl to train her to be all that he once was.

Eighteen-year-old Olivia Ruiz has just woken up in a strange place. Blindfolded and bound, there is only a calm male voice to welcome her. His name is Caleb, though he demands to be called Master. Olivia is young, beautiful, naïve and willful to a fault. She has a dark sensuality that cannot be hidden or denied, though she tries to accomplish both. Although she is frightened by the strong, sadistic, and arrogant man who holds her prisoner, what keeps Olivia awake in the dark is her unwelcome attraction to him.

WARNING: This book contains very disturbing situations, dubious consent, strong language, and graphic violence.



My Thoughts


OMG! I don't know where to start! 

What was it called when a hostage took refuge behind their abductor? Stockholm's? Did I have it?

Yes, yes I did! And I think that anyone who reads this book will have it too!  Is that a bad thing? Hell NO!

The story is extremely well written. The characters are believable and you felt what they were feeling. I love a book that drags you into it's world totally and completely.

Livvie seemed a little too naive to me, but it suited her. You understand why she is that way when you get further into the book. I still loved her character though, don't get me wrong.

Caleb... Hmmm... 
I don't know what to make of Caleb, at times so kind and gentle and at others, I feared him down to my soul.

Yep, that about sums him up!

I'm not usually a great note taker or highlighter of books as I'm reading them, but with this one I had to. There were some passages that just "GRABBED" at me. You know that feeling? I didn't, well hadn't... Not for a long time!
By the time it ended, my throat was raw, my body burned, and the word "Master" came easier to me than crying.

I'd been powerless in every encounter with him, but in this moment I knew what he wanted. Not just my body, but me. And although, he ruled me for the moment, while he dictated my future, in this one kiss... I owned him.

I totally LOVED this book! It is dark and twisted, but the whole time I was reading it, I was given just the tiniest taste of hope... Hope for how things would end...
I abruptly wondered what would happen to Caleb once I made it home. Would he be brought to justice? The thought gave me mixed emptions. Fuck, maybe I did have Stockholm's.


My Rating



Comments

Profile Photo

The Reading Cow

Profile Bio

My name is Kylie and I live in the state of Victoria, Australia.

I am a wife, mother of 3, lover of books and a Kindle 1-Click addict!

Instagram

Currently Reading

Goodreads Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge
Kylie Lacovich has read 0 books toward her goal of 40 books.
hide