social icons

search

The Reading Cow

Read 'til the cows come home...

more from the blog

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine #1)by Ransom Riggs




Synopsis

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.





My Thoughts


This book was really something different! I thought it was well written and I loved the way the author incorporated all the old photographs into the story. It made for an amazing reading experience.

Jacob is a loveable nerd. He came across real, even though you are lead to believe he is a little crazy. 


For the most part, I wasn't able to put this book down. I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened next. 


I loved "meeting" all the peculiar children, and Miss Peregrine,  as the story unfolded. Their "talents" are truly unique and having the photographs of them throughout the book added to the magic of my reading experience.


The sequel to this book is due to come out in 2014. 


I thought Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children ended well, without a totally annoying "cliffhanger". I was satisfied with the ending, and if I never read the sequel, I will still be satisfied with the story I read. It does stand well as a stand alone novel. 


However, I will definitely be reading the sequel. I can't wait to read about the "Peculiar's" next adventure! 

My Rating



Comments

Profile Photo

The Reading Cow

Profile Bio

My name is Kylie and I live in the state of Victoria, Australia.

I am a wife, mother of 3, lover of books and a Kindle 1-Click addict!

Instagram

Currently Reading

Goodreads Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge
Kylie Lacovich has read 0 books toward her goal of 40 books.
hide