social icons

search

The Reading Cow

Read 'til the cows come home...

more from the blog

REVIEW: Saving Ben by Ashley Farley



Synopsis

Life is sweet for Katherine Langley. A freshman at the University of Virginia, she is free from the drama of her parents’ dysfunctional marriage and ready to focus on studying to become a nurse. Her brother, Ben, belongs to the hottest fraternity on campus, and her new roommate, Emma, is beautiful and charming, a party girl whose answer for a hangover is happy hour. She is also a psychopath. 

When Katherine’s obsessive-compulsive overprotective brother succumbs to Emma’s charms and falls dangerously off-track, Katherine must save Ben from himself. Lives are threatened and someone disappears on New Year’s Day. The only evidence left: a single set of footprints in the snow. 

From the university campus to a cozy cottage on Carter’s Creek, Virginia, Saving Ben is a haunting tale of love and loyalty, anger management, substance abuse, and betrayal.




My Thoughts


I decided to take a break from my romantic reading binge and read something different. Saving Ben had me captivated from the first chapter, and held my interest the whole way through. I couldn't put it down, and actually felt a little disappointed when I had finished it - not disappointed in the book, but disappointed that my journey with the characters was over.

The story focuses on Katherine and her brother Ben. They come from a wealthy family, and have a strained relationship with their parents. Katherine is a freshman at her brother's college and he is very overprotective of her. 

Ben falls for Emma, Katherine's roommate, after the first time he meets her. How could he not? She's a blonde bombshell, but there's more to Emma than being beautiful. She's manipulative, downright nasty at times and a psychopath. Because of Emma, Katherine finds Ben spiralling out of control. He starts drinking heavily, doing drugs and he and Emma seem to fight all the time.

There were a couple of twists throughout the story. I guess they were slightly predictable, but I was more like "that makes sense now!" than "I totally saw that coming!". I would have loved to have read a little more about Katherine and Thompson's relationship. It was an important aspect of Katherine's life, but I felt like we were only given a small taste of it. 

Saving Ben is a fantastic novel. It was very well written, and easily held my attention. If you are looking for something to read with a bit of an edge to it, I strongly suggest reading this. You will not be disappointed!



My Rating






Comments

Profile Photo

The Reading Cow

Profile Bio

My name is Kylie and I live in the state of Victoria, Australia.

I am a wife, mother of 3, lover of books and a Kindle 1-Click addict!

Instagram

Currently Reading

Goodreads Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge
Kylie Lacovich has read 0 books toward her goal of 40 books.
hide